Super Chunky Jumper - A Pattern in Progress



Every item I design starts with an idea. I have loved seeing many super chunky knits online, particularly on Instagram where knitting and all things handmade seem to be celebrated. 

Whilst I love the look of oversized cardigans and jumpers with near wizard-level sleeves, I need something a little more practical for every day wear. 

With a new project in mind - chunky jumper - I have set out a few 'must-haves' for my project: 

1. Long sleeves - being a little taller than average I have spent much of my life tugging at my sleeves or pushing sleeve up to my elbows. When making my own clothes I find myself fighting the urge to over-lengthen sleeves, bodies, and hemlines. The prevailing idea seems to be 'the longer the better!' This, of course, is not the case. When I design an item I always have in mind where alterations will be made to fit the wearer, in the case of a knitting pattern I will highlight just where those extra rows will sit to add that much needed length. 

2. Pockets - a dress with pockets seems to be a running joke amongst women, the joy that can be found in trying on an item only to find pockets?! The jumper that I have planned is perfect for the spring weather, no jacket required with this chunky piece. Pockets allow for keys and phone to be pocketed without the need for a handbag. I am envisioning dog walks, trips to the corner shop, a leisurely visit to the coffee shop, sitting outside watching the world go by. 

Unlike a hoodie a chunky knitted jumper does not lend itself well to a front centre pocket due to the dragging effect that can occur when the pocket is full. Instead the side seams of this piece can take some additional weight. Tucked away by your sides, pockets can be lined with matching or contrasting fabric, hidden with pocket flaps or reinforced with welts.

3. Chunky Style - while it is important to make a practical item I want to keep in mind those extravagant pieces that have inspired me. To make the most of those chunky stitches I will be keeping the bold rib stitches at the hem, cuffs, and neckline, using twisted stitches to really make the rib stitch pop. I have yet to decide on the final pattern for the front of the jumper - geometric shapes or colour-work? Both are great options and, when a pattern is designed right it can be used as a base to create a great array of styles. 

So, planning has begun! I will be writing at every stage of this design process ending with a final post of the finished item. Next post - Casting on & Ribbing. 

Comments

Popular Posts